Monday, December 21, 2009

A birthday cake to make Cinderella jealous.

I made this cake Thursday night for a friend.  We we went out for girls night Friday night to celebrate her birthday, and I didn't want her to see her cake ahead of time, so I withheld this post.

She just wanted a classic white cake.  I had never made one before, so I found a recipe online.  It turned out really good.  Here's the process:


Pans waiting to be filled.


1 1/2 sticks of butter.


Beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.


Voila!  Light and fluffy.  Ally said it looked like popcorn.


Dry ingredients combined in a separate bowl:  flour, baking powder and salt.


Egg whites, milk and vanilla in yet another bowl.  I had so much trouble with the egg whites.  The egg separator that came with my measuring spoon set is crap.  I failed three times (and wasted three eggs) trying to use it.  Finally I said forget it and used the egg shells to separate six (that's right, 6) eggs.


You alternate adding the flour mixture, then the milk mixture, to the butter/sugar.  The mix it all up until it looks like the above.


And then into the oven it goes.


Now to color the buttercream.  Notice the big blob of food coloring in it.


Done.  It's a nice, pretty pink.


Assembling the layers.  I forgot to take a picture of just the bottom layer.  Whoops.


Not smooth yet!


I made the shoe.  I have picture of making the shoe, but I deleted them from my work computer, so I'll retrieve those and post that process later.  The bottom is just zebra print ribbon.


Finishing touches:  Sparkly jewel picks that I found in the wedding section of Hobby Lobby, and pink fur trim also from Hobby Lobby.  She said she wanted a girly cake and I think that goal was achieved!


Close-up of the top.  The shoe was made from gumpaste.  It was my first attempt at a shoe, and I think it turned out beautiful! 

P.S.  Her name is Brandy, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment