Friday, November 6, 2009

Chocolate Fudge Cake, and not being fully stocked on supplies.

I didn't get as much accomplished last night as I had hoped I would.  See, I had planned on getting the cakes baked and covered with fondant/iced last night, then doing the detail work tonight.  Alas, it was not meant to be, for I discovered my shortage of butter.  Yes, butter.  I need to make two batches of cake batter, which calls for 3/4 cup of butter, and I needed butter for the BUTTERcream icing.  I had just enough butter for one batch of cake batter.  So that means I will be working my butt...er (har har) off tonight to get everything finished for my friend to pick up the cake tomorrow morning.  No worries...it will be done!  So anyway, onto baking the cake that I was able to get done last night.

The birthday girl wanted a chocolate cake, so I found a recipe at Wilton HERE.  Chocolate fudge cake...yum!  Let's get down to business, shall we?


Everything laid out and ready to go!


First, 2 cups of all-purpose flour.


One teaspoon of baking powder.


One teaspoon of baking soda.  And a half a teaspoon of salt, which I didn't take a picture of.  Combine the four together in a bowl.


In a separate bowl soften your butter (3/4 cup), if it's not already at room temperature (mine wasn't).


Cream together your butter and 2 cups of sugar until it's light in texture.  Then add 3 eggs, and 1 teaspoon of vanilla and beat thoroughly.



Then alternating between the two, add your flour mixture and 1 1/2 cups of milk, beating well between each addition. 


And the above is what it should look like at this point.  Now it's time for chocolate!


You'll need 3 oz. of unsweetened chocolate.  My girls kept asking for some.  I kept trying to explain that it wasn't very good by itself because it wasn't sweet yet.  Notice Cammy's little chubby hand reaching for it!  Melt your chocolate in the microwave at 30-second intervals, stirring between each.


Add the melted chocolate to your batter and beat thoroughly.  Doesn't that look yummy?


Grease your pans.  I use Wilton's Cake Release.  It is awesome.  The cakes come out of the pans so easily.


Ready for the oven!  I made one 10-inch layer and one 8-inch layer last night.  Tonight I'll make one more of each.


And finally, the finished cakes on the cooling rack.  They smelled wonderful while they were baking.  I hope they taste as good as they smelled!  I'll finished up the whole cake tonight.  I doubt I'll do an update this weekend, so you may have to wait until Monday to see the finished product.  I'll know you'll just be so excited to see it come Monday morning. 

No comments:

Post a Comment