Thursday, November 5, 2009

First documenting experience.

If you're friends with me on facebook then you've probably seen my cake album, so I'm not going to rehash those cakes here. This I am starting with the current cake I'm working on: a Twilight cake for a high school friend's daughter.

Since I work a full-time day job I am having to work on this cake a little bit at a time each night. I didn't think to start the step-by-step documenting process when I started the cake, so I don't have detailed pictures of this first element. My apologies. But from now on, every cake I do, I'm going to take lots of pictures so that you all can follow me along the way.

First a little information about the cake: If you Google Twilight cakes, you'll come up with tons of pictures of cakes incorporating elements from the book covers. That's the route I'm going with this cake. I'm doing a two-tiered, round cake. Bottom tier is 10-inches round, top tier is 8-inches round. The bottom I'm covering in white fondant and putting black chess board squares on it. The top I'm doing in buttercream colored black.

So the first thing I did for this cake was make the famous flower. You know, the white and red one on one of the covers. Forgive me, but I don't know the names of all the books or which cover goes with which. I am not a Twilight fan, myself. But this is the flower, which as I've just searched for it, I found out is on the New Moon cover:

So, I decided to do the flower out of gumpaste. I've never worked with gumpaste before, so I wasn't too confident with it. This is the part that I didn't document. So sorry. It just didn't occur to me at the time. I do have a few pictures after the process though.



These are the flower petals hanging up to dry. I couldn't find anything shaped right, so I went with the baby bottles. We have no use for them anymore, anyway.






Here we have the assembled flower, but without the red painted on it yet. And then...


The finished flower! I think it turned out quite well for a first attempt. Stay tuned as we make fondant!

No comments:

Post a Comment